Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Pushing through

Monday starts a marathon of interviews, with three in the next ten days or so, and I can't wait for it all to be over.

I'm not very good at selling myself, which probably explains why I've been waitlisted at three out of the four interviews I've attended in the last year (I haven't heard from the fourth, so I could very well be four for four in waitlists). Also, I honestly don't learn any more about the schools while I'm there than what I could get from their website. Visiting these medical schools seems like a colossal waste of money.

I realize that there's a "vibe" I can get and the mythical "fit" that I should look for. But how much can I really get out of spending 24 hours in a city, most of it in transit or at a hotel? And the impression I get of the school is nearly wholly dependent on the attitudes of the individual students that show up to the admissions office on the day of my visit.

All in all, I really hate interviewing. But I need to get rid of this attitude because my future depends entirely on how I present myself to random strangers.

This is the final push*. I just have to make it through the next couple of weeks and I'll be free.

---
*While it's very possible that I will get more interview invitations, I'm not really counting on it. I submitted my application fairly early so if I haven't heard back by now from schools, then I've probably been looked over. Hence this being the final push.

No comments:

Post a Comment