Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Another day, another waitlist

The title says it all.

I'm 4 for 4 in terms of interviews leading to waitlist positions, if you include my last cycle. This makes me think that I suck at interviewing (which I sometimes do), but in at least two of those cases I had very little chance of getting in post-interview.

My most recent waitlist decision came from the second school at which I interviewed this cycle. The dean of admissions told us during the interview day that we really only had a 10% chance of getting accepted after interviewing. They just bring in a bunch of people to interview for very few spots in the class.

So yeah, I didn't hold out much hope with this school. It still stings, though, and I'm not any closer to starting medical school in the fall. In fact, I'm down to three schools which can offer me admission, but really only two since I killed my chances of an acceptance at one of them due to a brain fart during the interview.

Let's hope my last interview goes really well because I really don't want to apply yet again.

2 comments:

  1. what is your opinion on DO schools? I'm in a similar position to you (reapplicant, might not get in this cycle, currently waitlisted). I didn't apply to any DO schools because I'm interested in specialties that I know will be difficult to match into from a DO school. I'm also considering a caereer in academic medicine which many people have told me will be hard to achieve with a DO degree. Did you apply to DO schools or MD only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied MD only, no DO for essentially the same reasons as you. I know several DO docs who have had very successful and fulfilling careers but it is not for me. I'll probably write a post about why I chose MD over DO somewhere down the line.

      Thanks for reading! And good luck this cycle! It's still early and there's plenty of time to get off a waitlist. At least that's what I keep telling myself to get through the days.

      Delete