Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Verbal diarrhea

During the student panel at my second interview, I asked if there were a lot of non-traditional students in the class. The 23-year-old second year started talking about all the kids that were her age and that even though three out of the four panelists were older, there were plenty of people in the class that were straight out of undergrad.

I waited until it was polite to interrupt and clarified my question by saying I was in my late 20s*. I then continued on (because I like to babble when I'm nervous) and pointed to the 27-year-olds, telling them I wanted to be their friends. Just like that. While awkward, it was better than what had begun coming out of my mouth, which was that I don't really want to hang out with 22-year-olds all day.

I guess I was stunned that she thought I was straight out of college, which is what prompted the nearly uncontrolled babbling. But I'm really glad I have a filter when it counts.

---
*I gave them an actual age, but in a thinly veiled attempt at blog anonymity, I won't be specific about that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment