Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Other lowlights

There were a couple other hiccups during that interview that make for a good self-deprecating blog post.

For one, when asked about a time I broke a regulation or a rule in a position of responsibility, I said I put a kid in a kayak instead of a row boat during summer camp, which is a big deal for the Boy Scouts (I gave him the context for the situation). I don't think he saw it as that.

Also, in response to a question about what I would do differently in college, I said I would've taken advantage of more opportunities that my undergraduate institution offered, as well as do better in my classes. He summarized that as, "So you'd do more activities," making it sound like I still wouldn't focus on doing well in school given another chance.

Lastly, I told the interviewer that I essentially ratted out a colleague to his supervisors when he said something inappropriate. The only reason I said anything to the higher-ups was because the colleague's comments were a common theme among members of the organization and I wanted to change things overall. I don't think it came off that way.

All in all, I didn't do too terribly and I'm hoping some of my other answers offset the Jehovah's Witness situation and that that comment didn't sink my entire application. I doubt there's any recovering from such a horrendous response, but there's always hope.

On the other hand, my interviewer did say that my interview went well as I shook his hand on my way out of the office. He was probably just letting me down gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment