Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Last preparations before the MCAT

This stupid MCAT is happening on Saturday (in two days) and I have mixed feelings about my preparedness. I had tried studying yesterday and did a practice Verbal Reasoning test after a leisurely morning. But I gave up on all of it after I got 80% of the questions wrong. I'm not joking. It was bad.

I got a bit depressed after that, thinking that I'd passed my peak and that I'd be screwed for the real thing. Maybe I should've taken it last weekend like I had originally planned. Maybe I shouldn't have left most of the studying for the week before the exam, and spread it out instead. So many maybes.

In true college fashion, I grabbed a beer to ease the pain of failure and decided to get some real work done. You know, the kind I get paid to do. It's overrated, I tell you!

Anywhos, one beer turned into two and my work turned into the 2-hour season finale of "Criminal Minds", followed by Tuesday night's 2-hour "NCIS: LA" season finale. Some sushi rice and many beers later, it was time to go to bed because after-all, I had an important test to take soon.

I woke up at 7 am this morning (on my own, might I add) bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to take on the world. I sat down for that last practice test, praying that the verbal would go better than yesterday and hoping that I hadn't forgotten too much basic science after cramming minutiae into my brain for finals last week.

And this was my score:

To say I was surprised by this result is a gross understatement. It's the highest score I've received on any of the practice tests and a welcome surprise. Hopefully the real thing goes just as well.

Moral of the story: To get a good score, take 7 beers to the face the night before an 8 AM MCAT.

3 comments:

  1. That's too funny.

    I am finding that if I take one beer before the verbal and I end up reading faster (but still understand), and end up doing better.

    test is Coming up soon. I think I'll take half a beer before the physical science section. 1 beer before Verbal and half a beer before the biology section.


    Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Beer sometimes does make me more productive at work, and I've found the first drafts of my secondary essays come along much faster with a beer in hand. So maybe there is something to it.

      Good luck on your exam! And thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Verbal reasoning and quantitative measures are very important in all types of entrance tests. Calculations need to be faster and some important topics must be well versed. Some doubts regarding writing skills are now yet clear for my law entrance. Joining Bar Exam Prep for a couple of months before the exam is surely needed.

    ReplyDelete