Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Secondary essays, version 2.0

My primary application is days away from being sent to medical schools so within the next week or so I will have a buttload of essays to submit, with prompts such as, "How would you contribute to our medical school class?" and "What's the greatest challenge you have faced?"

I remember being so burnt out with this process last year that the thought of putting another word on paper (or, more accurately, typing it on my computer) was incredibly repulsive. It honestly took me about an hour to write "the perfect" sentence, which isn't so perfect now that I read over it a year later. There's lots of revising to do.

The biggest thing I've learned from this process is to tailor my answers to the mission and priorities of each medical school. Some schools are service-based and others are research-based so I need to emphasize those qualities in my essays depending on which school I'm applying to.

I have a lot of these essays to write (my current list is 24 schools long), but I'm definitely looking forward to them more than I did last year. This doesn't mean I want to write anything, because I actually really detest writing when there's something riding on my responses.

I'm excited to see where my application takes me, because I have a legitimate shot at getting interviews this time around. Hurray for starting early!

No comments:

Post a Comment