Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

The shame of reapplying

I read an article today about how to structure an application as a reapplicant and it pretty much negates everything I thought I should do.

I personally am ashamed of not getting accepted to medical school last cycle and having to reapply this year. I cringe every time I have to tell somebody that I didn't get in. So I thought it'd be best to pretend that chapter of my life didn't occur. By that I mean, there is no mention of me being a reapplicant anywhere in my application (well, except for the box I have to check saying I'm reapplying).

Apparently, though, sometimes reapplying is looked upon favorably by admissions committees. It shows you're resilient and persistent and really want to pursue medicine as a career. I don't know how that's not evident from the fact that I practically quit my job a couple of years ago, spent thousands of dollars and hours on pre-requisite courses, and kicked butt in my classes and on my MCAT. But I guess I have to put that in words instead of showing it through my activities.

I've already submitted my primary application so there is no changing my personal statement. It would've been the perfect concluding paragraph. However, I have a second chance at communicating my persistence and resilience in the form of secondary applications. I'm sure I can find a way to mention this in most prompts so I still have a chance to let schools know I'm better for going through that experience.

I'm just glad I stumbled upon that article before I submitted all my materials and not after. All is not lost quite yet.

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing to be ashamed about, anyone who jumps right back up after being knocked back shows strength of character and maturity. You've said yourself that you've learned a lot from your experience, about being on the ball and not leaving things until the last minute, this experience is not wasted, even though the going through it is shitty and expensive! I wish you the very best of luck with your application.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, thank you so much for your encouraging words. I know I shouldn't feel this way because a bunch of people reapply each year, but it still sucks and like you said, it's shitty and expensive.

      I've gotten really good at making the best of non-ideal situations so I do see the positive in this. Among other things, I'm genuinely excited to see how I do this cycle when I've done everything correctly.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete