Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Polar opposite of what I'm looking for

Since I applied to so many schools this cycle I've been getting a bit burned out with the essay-writing. As I do more extensive research on each school to tailor my responses accordingly, I'm realizing that a few of these places are not going to be good fits for me. So I put those applications on the back burner and get to them whenever I feel like writing more.

One school in particular is causing me lots of anguish with regards to making a decision on whether to finish the application or not.

It's the opposite of my ideal location* in nearly every way: region, weather, topography, and culture. And its secondary application is a beast.

On the other hand, I have a fairly decent chance of being accepted there because my stats are actually competitive. So I can't bring myself to rule it out entirely. Instead, I've been talking myself into finishing all the essays that are required simply for that reason. Beggars can't be choosers.

In order to stay positive about this school, I've been daydreaming (through rose-colored glasses, of course) about what it would really be like to live there. I like to compare it to a new kind of adventure, kind of like living abroad. I mean, I did say I was tiring of my current region so this could be the perfect solution.

So back to writing I go. By the way, I'm currently seven pages into a Word document (single spaced) for this particular secondary. And I still have two more essays to finish for it. A beast, I tell you. A beast.

---
*After looking at a school's statistics to see if I even have a chance in hell of having my application not dumped directly into the trash, I've been considering other factors to decide whether to apply there or not. Location is a big one.

Although the school that I mention in this post is on the opposite side of perfect, there is no deal-breaker like the one that made me hate the second school at which I interviewed last cycle. So I'm giving it a chance when schools similar to the other one have been crossed off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment