Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Another interview invitation

As I was powering off my phone on the airplane to fly to Mexico last week, I noticed an email from an admissions office inviting me to interview*. In the text of the email it said I had seven days from the date of the invitation to schedule said interview, which wouldn't exactly work since I'd still be out of the country.

I called the admissions office as the plane doors were closing hoping to be able to do it quickly right then, but the lady who schedules the interview was at lunch. They asked if I could call back in an hour. Umm, what part of "The plane doors are closing and can't you hear the flight attendant in the background", do you not understand?

Anywhos, I wasn't able to book the interview before we took off and they said they don't book them over email (I tried), which led to me using Skype over our very shaky internet connection. Lots of, "Can you please repeat that?" and "I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear you" comments later, I was booked for an interview in a couple of weeks.

I won't be able to attend the first date they offered (early next week) because I'll be at a conference presenting a poster, so instead I'm scheduled for one that is 10 calendar days and 5 interview dates later. Not ideal, but that's just the way it worked out.

I also emailed other schools in the pseudo-area telling them I'll be there during that time and that if they were to offer me an interview I'd appreciate it if it could be while I'm around. So far I haven't heard anything, but then again it's technically only been two business days since they got that email. I'll give them another one and if I don't hear back by tomorrow I'll book the flights for just this interview.

Lastly, I will post an interview recap of my dream school interview from last week in the coming days. In short, I don't think I killed it but I didn't do badly either, so I don't know how that'll affect my chances of acceptance. We'll find out soon enough since the admissions committee meets at the end of this week and/or beginning of next week.

In the end, everything worked out wonderfully with scheduling my first interview as well as being able to enjoy my vacation. All in all, I got to have my cake and eat it too. Now if I could get an acceptance on my birthday next week, that'd just be the icing on that most delicious cake.

---
*This is at the school that just recently marked me as "Complete" after sitting on my application for three months, and then invited me for an interview not even a week after that. Black Magic, I tell you. Or different schools have different versions of what it means to be complete. Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment