Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Reality check

My mock interview with the Pre-Health Office went very well on Tuesday. I don't know why, but when I talk with medical people my answers get twice as long. With Career Services, I was able to communicate my path to applying to medical school in 4 minutes, while in both Pre-Health interviews it was on the order of 10 minutes. No bueno. I need to stop rambling!

Other than that, the practice interview wasn't nearly as dreadful as I had anticipated. I know what to work on and how to improve my answers and disposition so rocking the real interview is entirely doable. And the adviser assured me that it's completely normal to be rejected from the schools that I've been rejected from.

So far, I've been rejected from mostly reach schools, ones I have very little chance of getting into based on my overall GPA or my out-of-state status. So it makes sense and I shouldn't stress out too much about it.

If all else fails, she gave me pointers on what I should do to improve my application for next year in case I have to reapply. I can't really improve my GPA or MCAT any more than I already have so the next step would be getting more recent clinical experience in the form of a clinical research position.

I'm hoping I get into the school I'm interviewing with next weekend (it's my state school and I have the best chance to get in there) so I don't have to worry about balancing my current job with a clinical research position an hour away from where I live. Also, I REALLY don't want to have to rewrite all my essays for another application cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment