Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

This does not bode well for a career in medicine

I recently began refereeing rugby because I know my days as a player are limited and I need another way to stay involved in the sport.

Yesterday, I helped with an all-day tournament during which I refereed 14 games of 14 minutes each (7s, for those who know rugby). I left home before sunrise and got back well after sunset. By the last game of the tournament, my back hurt, my legs were sore, and I was in a generally foul mood.

It was simply exhausting, and a day later I'm still feeling the effects. I dragged myself out of bed this morning at 10 am just so I could fall asleep tonight. I spent the rest of the day in the hammock reading and now I'm waiting for it to get late enough so that it's acceptable to go to bed.

I don't remember tiring so easily last year when I had so much on my plate. I got a lot more accomplished with a lot less sleep and rest. So I'm hoping this is just the vacation version of me being mad that it had to do something, and now needing some time to recuperate.

Because if spending an entire day on my feet wipes me out for the entire next day, I am so screwed in medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment