Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Summer abroad

Originally I had planned to apply to only one summer program abroad and leave it at that. If I didn't get in, then I'd enjoy the peace and freedom of this summer here in town. But, a friend of mine has forwarded another opportunity on to me about a group leader position in a huge number of countries that would last about 5 weeks. It'd be a great reason for me to go back to Europe and visit my family, because it doesn't look like the sailing trip is going to happen the way I had hoped.

So here are the two programs I'm applying or have applied to:
  1. A humanitarian mission aboard the USNS Mercy, run by the UCSD Pre-Dental Society
    This organization partners with the U.S. Navy to provide medical staff and volunteer assistants for missions abroad aboard a hospital ship. This summer they will be traveling to Southeast Asia, visiting Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, and Cambodia for about 4 months total (2 weeks at each site plus a few days of transit between countries). I've applied for the whole summer but if I am chosen for only two sites then I requested Vietnam and Cambodia because it would give me more time and lee-way for MCAT studying (in case I have to push it back...again), AMCAS submission, and writing secondaries. I've been told by someone who does these kinds of missions regularly that I should go for the duration of whole thing if I have the opportunity because it's a once in a lifetime experience, but I would also like to have some time to be at home during the summer. It's fun over here. As of a week ago, they had received my application and now it's a waiting game. If I don't hear back within the next 2 - 3 weeks then I'll email them for an update but for now, I sit and wait and fret. I REALLY want to do this. It's right up my alley!
  2. The Experiment in International Living, as a group leader for high school students
    This group plans homestays for high school students in countries around the world, and is in need of group leaders to be the contacts for these students when they're abroad. It would be the perfect opportunity to go back to Europe (or maybe even Australia) and live with a family and experience the international life I've been missing since I moved back to the States. I wish my Italian was better because then I could go to Florence, too!

Those are the plans, at least the international ones, for the summer. If I do end up staying here in town, I may volunteer at a summer camp for cancer kids, which is something I've been wanting to do since undergrad but just haven't had the time to do. Or, I may take an Italian summer course so I can take the more advanced language classes during fall and spring. Or I may just go camping a lot. Man, I'm already dreaming of the freedom I'll have once my MCAT and AMCAS are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment