Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

A well-deserved vacation, and next semester's schedule

Last night I got back from Catalina Island after a week of volunteering at a Boy Scout camp I used to work at during the summers. It was awesome and completely exhausting. I slept 11 hours last night and still had trouble rolling out of bed this morning. During my whole time there, I was kind of lamenting the fact that the week was moving along so slowly. But when I thought about it some more, I became really glad that the one week out there felt more like three, which would extend my measly two week vacation into feeling like I had at least four weeks off between school sessions. I really need as much time off as possible after that summer of organic chemistry with lab. It totally wiped me out!

As for next semester, I have some decisions to make and soon. I've been debating taking an EMT class in the fall so I can work as an ED tech prior to applying to med school, and while waiting to get in and matriculate. Also, since I want to go abroad at some point before I go to med school and do something meaningful during that time, I figured having some sort of medical certification and experience would be a good thing. And I terribly miss doing medicine.

BUT, all this would mean I'd essentially have to choose between EMT class and rugby in the fall. The more I thought about it, the more it made sense to take the season off: my wrist is still not fully healed (argh!), I'm nowhere near rugby shape, and I don't want to drive to the next town over for EMT class when I can skip rugby and take it on the university campus a mile from my house. And if I decide to study for the January MCAT (that's still questionable), I'll actually have time to do that and have a life that would save my sanity.

So, the decision is made, and I just blew another grand on a class I've already taken and essentially shouldn't need to take again. If I had only realized I actually wanted to do medicine last May, I could've taken the EMT class over the summer and had something to do instead of mess around and wait for the fall to come around so I could start the pre-med thing. I could also go back to late 2009 and wish that I hadn't let my EMT cert expire thinking I was done with medicine forever. But all this anger with myself for wasting my money and time by making up for my past can really be traced back to undergrad. If I had done everything correctly back then, I would have started my residency a month ago instead of just now preparing for my MCAT.

But I love the path I've taken, and even though I often think that I should have done it differently, I know myself well enough to say that given the opportunity, I wouldn't have changed anything I've done in the past 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment