Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Graduation tam

This week was my medical school's graduation so my social media is blowing up with peeps celebrating their accomplishments. I'm happy for them and all that jazz, but it brings back hard memories from my graduation last year.

You'd think I'd be upset about the fact that I was the only one of my friends without a defined career track or that I'd be sad to see my prelim year permanently documented in our graduation publications.

Nope. The thing that bothers me the MOST is the way I wore my stupid graduation tam. Seriously.

The proper way to wear it like this, with the hat parallel to the floor:

Image result for graduation tam

My millennial classmates convinced me to wear it similarly to the woman in this picture*, except even more angled and sitting even more at the back of my head. It looked like I had a freaking black starfish perched atop my cranium.

Image result for graduation tam

I regrettably obliged. Partly because I thought I'd look stupid wearing it the regular way (hindsight is 20/20), and partly because it seemed "cooler" at the time because the stylish people were doing it. Now, 1 year later, I'm still regretting it.

This is such a stupid thing to be upset about considering everything I've gone through in the last year and a half, but for some reason I just can't let it go.

Luckily, there are a few pictures before I changed my tam around and also others after I had realized my mistake and changed it back. But the pictures where I get my diploma immortalize my stylish "mistake".

I'm hoping some day I'll get over this because it is so. Damn. Silly.

---

* BTW, I can't even find the way I wore it on Google images. Shows you how unpopular this way of wearing actually is. But I wasn't in the right state of mind to Google how to wear my graduation regalia prior to the ceremony. My only goal that day was to not break out in tears in front of everyone. 

ETA:
After I wrote this post, I found a picture that had almost the same tam positioning as mine (the woman on the far right). See, it looks ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment