Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Responsibility

While it still hasn't hit me that I'm actually starting medical school, it's slowly starting to dawn on me that I am, sometime in the near future, going to be a doctor. That is a scary thought.

Amongst all the mingling, retreating, and picnicking, we've had a few serious talks at orientation and our White Coat ceremony about what it means to be a doctor.

Our keynote speaker described the first patient that he treated. Our dean spoke about the impact his patients' words of thanks have had on him. And our orientation included a history of the impact our medical school and its doctors have had on the surrounding community.

Every single one of these instances sent shivers down my spine. The quality of my work will no longer just affect my professional reputation or a potential bonus. A good day on the job could have tangible effects on another person's life and future, as could a bad day. I have never felt such a great sense of responsibility before and it's thrilling.

So although it still feels like I'm on vacation meeting new people in a new city and the "first day of medical school" seems very surreal, I am keenly aware of the responsibility that I will acquire once I get an MD after my name in four very short years.

I am incredibly excited, but at the same time very terrified. I'm in for a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment