Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Third time's the charm!

I can't believe I didn't post this sooner, but the email I had been waiting for for years, finally arrived (more than two weeks ago now).

(I recognize the timing of this post may be a little suspect, but I assure you, this is no joke.)

It's taken a long time for it to sink in, but finally two weeks later, I think I've finally accepted that this is real. For the week or so after matching, I had to keep repeating to myself that I had matched. Seriously. I didn't think this was ever going to happen, so it was so surreal to have finally gotten in. Even now, though, it's still so strange to think that in 6 years time, I will be an orthopaedic surgeon.*

It's mostly strange to have an end goal, a finish line, a concrete timeline. I have lived in this migratory purgatory for so long, not knowing what the next year will bring and having to constantly move to keep chasing opportunities, that it's strange to have stability for the foreseeable future.

I'm going to be in one place for 5 years (!!!), with the same people who will be invested in training me and helping me become the best damn surgeon I can be.

Over the years, getting to do orthopaedic surgery had become this vague idea that I wasn't sure was actually going to happen, like this elusive thing that was always just out of reach. But now it's real, concrete, and so incredibly (but pleasantly) strange.

Oh, and I don't have to move. I matched at the program where I'm doing research. Woohoo!

---
* I'm anticipating doing a 1-year fellowship, like the vast majority of orthopods these days, hence the extra year of training.

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same (previously anonymous) poster as before and I just wanted to say congratulations!! I'm so happy to read you've finally passed this big hurdle towards your goal and at the same program that you already enjoy! I know the path was a bit different than you originally intended, but you've persevered and it sounds like you've become stronger and even more determined because of it.

    While the next few years will surely have challenges of its own, I hope you know that you ARE good enough and you WILL make it, just take it one day at a time! I hope you continue to document your journey towards being an orthopaedic surgeon, as I've enjoyed following your journey these past few years and will continue to cheer you on from through the screen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much! It's been great reading your comments throughout the years. And thanks for the words of encouragement for whatever the future holds. I will definitely keep writing as my journey continues to unfold. It's really nice to be able to read back through old posts to see how much or (also) how little I have changed and I'm glad others are enjoying them as well.

      Delete
  2. That is the best news I’ve heard for ages, I am thrilled for you, many congratulations! Your tenacity has paid off and now you can look forward to a wonderful career doing what you love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's the best news I've been able to share probably ever, so I'm glad I can offer some light in these uncertain times. Thank you for your support over the years. I'm definitely looking forward to everything that comes next.

      Delete
  3. I've followed your story anonymously for a little while now, and am so thrilled to hear this news! Congrats, and best wishes as you move forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you!!! I'm glad I can finally give you guys good news! It's been a little dark over here for a while so it's a relief to write something happy for a change.

      Delete