Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

Quasi done-zo

I've finished up my secondary applications* (finally!) except for a few that I'm only doing to appease my mother, most of which I have absolutely no chance of being admitted to. Turning them in this late doesn't help in that respect but I told her I'd apply so I have to get them done eventually. And I don't particularly want to attend these schools in the first place so that's another reason not to get too worked up about most definitely being rejected without even an interview.**

Anywhos, remember my confidence about getting admitted this year? That's all about gone at this point because of the tardiness at being "complete" at all my schools.***

I'm actually starting to freak out a bit about possibly not getting in because so many people already have interview invites and/or have attended interviews and all I have is one measly email saying I've been moved to a "pool of applicants who potentially will be invited to interview with us."

That's not very hope-inducing but it does mean that the letter of recommendation I was worried about turned out to be pretty spectacular. It was either going to sink my application or make it (no in betweens) and I'm glad that it was the latter.

I don't know how I would've answered "How have you improved your application since the last time you submitted?" if I had to reapply. Umm...not piss off my letter-writer within a week of asking him to write it? I don't think that explanation would fly.

Also, pardon all the stars here but I'm using this post as a not-very-well-organized explanation of the medical school application process to people not familiar with it.

Lastly, here's the most recent Facebook meme I found hilarious:
If T. Rex had just one wish, he'd wish he could cuddle.
(Full disclosure: It's not the most recent, but the cleanest. I have one up my sleeve that's not exactly politically correct. I'll save it for when I'm feeling particularly feisty.)

---
*For the non-medical school folk, after submitting the primary application that consists of a personal statement and description of extracurricular activities to the medical school application black hole, each school you have applied to can choose to send you a secondary/supplemental application that requires paying another fee but also often requires writing essays about greatest challenges, moral and ethical dilemmas, or your prized possessions. This has been the greatest hang-up for me because I absolutely hate formal writing that needs to put me in the best possible light.

**If schools really like you, they invite you for an interview. You can't get in without one. The earlier you get your application in, the better your chances of being asked to interview. And the earlier your interview, the more likely you'll be admitted (at most schools, at least).

***Being "complete" means having your MCAT scores and secondary/supplemental application submitted, paying the application fee for that specific school, and having all your letters of recommendation ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment